10) Rockingham Canal House
Originally known as the Hotel Rockingham, this was one of Bellows Falls' great railroad hotels during the village's manufacturing boom. It was built in 1883 and owned by Leverett T. Lovell II. These facts are proudly displayed in decorative slate shingles on the west and south roof slopes. The mansard roof is the distinguishing feature of the French Second Empire style. Note the round-arched storefront openings forming a continuous arcade, and the stone sills and brick window lintels with arched tops and shoulders. In 1979, the building was rehabilitated for combined commercial and residential use.
[Previous: Polish American Club] [Next: Miss Bellows Falls Diner]
[Bellows Falls Historic District] [Map]